Does it matter where I spend my WIC checks?

Many stores in Maine and some in New Hampshire accept Maine WIC checks. These stores must carry WIC approved foods. Find WIC Stores in Hancock and Washington counties.

Why does WIC need to weigh and measure my child?

Your child's height and weight tell us a lot about her health. WIC weighs and measures a child regularly. How your child grows over time can identify a concern before it becomes a problem.

Why does WIC need to do a blood test?

Since WIC is a health and nutrition program, we check iron level in the blood. A low iron level can be an indication of anemia.

What does WIC consider as income?

WIC benefits are made available based on federal income guidelines. Income includes all cash before taxes earned by anyone who lives in the household. It also includes money from other sources such as Social Security benefits, public assistance, alimony or child support payments and unemployment compensation. Call one of our WIC clinics for questions about income.

What should I do if I move to another town or state?

Contact one of our WIC clinics before you move. We can give you the phone number of a WIC office near your new home. Ask our local WIC staff to provide you with the information you need before you move. We can give you information to take with you that will verify you have participated in the WIC program in Maine. Bring that information with you when you go to a new WIC office.

How often do I have to go to the WIC office or clinic?

You will be asked to visit your WIC office every one to three months. Our local WIC staff will tell you what you need to bring for each visit.

What should I do with formula that my baby does not need?

Return any unused infant formula to one of our WIC offices. Do not take it back to the store, or give it to someone else.

What do I need to do if my baby's formula gets changed?

Contact one of our WIC offices. We will tell you if you need to have a prescription from the doctor for the new formula. Any unused formula and WIC checks will need to be brought back to the WIC office before the staff can give you checks for the new formula.

What should I do if the amount of any of the foods on my checks is too much for me or my child to eat each month?

Talk to your WIC counselor. The amount of food on your checks may be changed to fit your needs.

What is BPA and why should I be concerned?

BPA is the chemical bisphenol A (BPA). BPA is used to harden plastics, keep bacteria from growing in foods, and prevent cans from rusting. While scientists are still studying its effects on humans, many parents are choosing to use baby bottles that are free of BPA. Visit the Maine WIC BPA page for more information.