In Maine, 76% of all registered voters participated in this election and turnout was very high all across the country. Some results we’re especially happy about are:
- We elected a president who will nominate judges like Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor to any future vacancies on the Supreme Court.
- The incoming U.S. Senate will have a record number of female Senators, including Tammy Baldwin (WI), the first out gay member of the Senate and Mazie Hirono (HI), the first Asian American female Senator;
- Across the country, the reprehensible anti-rape, anti-choice crowd, including Todd “Legitimate Rape” Akin (MO), Richard “Gift from God” Mourdock (IN), and Joe “No such thing as life and health of the mother” Walsh (IL), were sent packing.
- Four states – Maryland, Minnesota, Washington and MAINE!!!! – voted to grant gay and lesbian couples equal rights to civil marriage under the law.
- Here in Maine, our pro-choice, pro-family planning majority in the legislature was strengthened, as dozens of new supporters of reproductive justice were elected to represent Maine communities in Augusta. And we elected a strong pro-choice, pro-family planning advocate to the U.S. Senate.
Here at the Family Planning Association of Maine, we are heartened by the strong, clear statement the people of Maine and the people of the U.S. have made with their votes. We are preparing for the days ahead in Augusta and in Washington, knowing that we have you on our side. Onward!