The Health Insurance Marketplace is now open, and Maine Family Planning is here to help you navigate your options. With two Certified Application Counselors (CACs) traveling to our Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, and Lewiston Family Planning sites, finding and enrolling in a plan is easier than ever. Whether you’re enrolling for the first time or simply renewing your current plan, we can help guide you through the process.
While we can make it easier for you to find an affordable plan, we know that there’s still a lot of confusing information out there about health insurance. To help break things down, we’ve put together a list of the top six things we think everyone needs to know—so read up, share with friends and family (and then give us a call)!
1. Chances are, you’ll get financial help. Last year, 90% of Mainers qualified for a subsidy (a discount) to help with the cost of their health plan. The amount of financial help available depends on your income; use this quick calculator to see if you might qualify for assistance.
2. There’s a chance you’ll pay either way. If you don’t enroll in a health insurance plan, you could be charged a penalty on your next tax return. Every year, the fee increases; this year, it’s $325 per adult, $162.50 per child OR 2% of your annual household income—whichever is greater. If you’re going to be responsible for paying either way, why not make sure you have health coverage?
3. The time is now. Open enrollment ends February 15, 2015! If you are not already in the marketplace system, you may not have another chance to enroll until November 2015– that’s almost a whole year without health coverage.
4. Already have a Health Plan? If you are currently covered by a Marketplace plan, it’s important for you to update your financial information make sure you’re getting the right level of financial help in 2015. You must re-enroll by December 15th for there to be no gaps in your coverage.
5. You’ll get real coverage. All health insurance plans are now required to cover essential health services, including preventive screenings, prescriptions, emergency room care, maternity care, and contraception. You can’t be denied coverage or dropped from a plan because of pre-existing health conditions.
6. Maine Family Planning can help you explore all your options. Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a Marketplace Plan or for MaineCare — Maine’s Medicaid health insurance program for children, pregnant women, parents, and people with disabling or certain chronic health conditions. We’ll help you sort through your options.
Give us a call to set up an appointment with a Certified Application Counselor at a participating Family Planning clinic. We’ll help you figure out what plan will work best for you, calculate what kind of financial help you can expect, and help you navigate the enrollment process.
Having health insurance means that you can get the care you need when you need it. Let us help you get covered!
You can reach Mindy by phone at 248-3928 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can reach Heather by phone at 248-3931 or via email at email@example.com.
Learn more: www.mainefamilyplanning.org/getcovered