This piece originally ran in the Bangor Daily News.
This week marked the start of “40 Days,” an anti-abortion protest that is held all over the United States at this time of year. Every day for about six weeks, patients, visitors and staff of Maine Family Planning in Augusta will pass a gauntlet of protesters at our front gates.
These protesters wave rosaries, sing hymns and pray loudly. They gather near the gates, trying to slow down the cars approaching our parking lot. They make no distinction between patients who are coming in for an annual exam, to pick up their birth control supplies, or to get life-saving breast and cervical health screenings. Worst of all, the protesters will display and carry signs spreading lies about abortions and the women who have them.
Are these protesters interested in knowing the facts surrounding abortion? I suspect not.
Based on what I’ve seen of their tactics in my 25-plus years doing family planning work, they don’t want to hear the truth. However, Bangor Daily News readers deserve better. They deserve to know the real story of abortion in our country and our state. Continue reading
The Family Planning Association of Maine is thrilled to announce the launch of our new website, logo and name ~ Maine Family Planning!
We’ve made many changes over the last few years, as we’ve taken on direct management of several family planning health centers and are now operating 18 clinics in 12 counties! We’ve also opened a primary care practice at our Belfast location, and in Downeast Maine, we’re providing families with additional support.
Our new name, Maine Family Planning, better reflects our ongoing efforts to provide innovative, high-quality services amidst a changing healthcare environment. We’re no longer simply an association that oversees the work of other agencies, but a leaner, more responsive organization dedicated to the sexual health and reproductive rights of all Mainers.
Our website has been updated with a fresh look and user-friendly navigation to better connect visitors with the information they are seeking. The site is designed to work seamlessly on mobile phones and tablets ~ so users can find the services and information they need, wherever they happen to be.
We hope our new site will be a helpful resource for you. Here’s what you’ll find:
- Find a Clinic: Finding a family planning health center is easier than ever.
- Get Involved: Stay informed by signing up for our Action Alerts.
- The Buzz: Our exciting new program helps pro-choice Mainers make their voices heard through social media and other online forums.
- On The Front Lines: Our blog informs, inspires, and gives readers a chance to take a more in-depth look at sexual health and reproductive rights issues.
- Looking for something specific? Our new website has sections especially for patients, educators, parents and families, community partners, and donors.
- Health Topics: you’ll find information on sexual health, birth control, STDs, abortion services, and more ~ because everyone deserves a local resource they can trust.
After you check out our new website, connect with Maine Family Planning on Twitter and Facebook! We want to be your Maine resource for sexual health and reproductive rights information and support.
Please let us know what you think of our new look and website.
We value your feedback!